• 4.8.15

    MY PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS

    It’s no secret that I have a love for photography. Over the past few years, I feel that I’ve come leaps and bounds in the camera department. I’ve learnt quite a lot about trying to get the best images I can from angles, to lighting and equipment (post here). Now I’m not claiming to be an expert in photography, I’m just sharing some of what I’ve learnt.

    LEARN TO USE YOUR CAMERA
    In my opinion, this is the most important factor in achieving better photos. I’ve found DSLR cameras are considerably harder to use than a typical point and shoot camera, however, I’ve been on a couple of courses, in particular one with Paul Hames and I’ve learnt so much about how to use my camera! I just think that if you learn how to use your camera, you’re already on a roll!

    DON’T USE FLASH
    I think the only time when the use of flash is necessary is in the dark, when there’s no light. When it comes to blog photos, I think it’s highly unnecessary. I have used flash in the past, whilst using a point and shoot camera, however the thing with using flash is that if you’re photographing products, there tends to be a flashback. If you’re photographing on glass, gloss or mirror you can see that a flash has been used and I think it kind of affects the quality of the photo.

    TAKE YOUR OWN PHOTOS
    When I see a blog or someone’s personal website, I’m immediately put off when I see stock photos. I think stock photos are only useful for websites, showcasing their stock. For me personally, taking photos is a very enjoyable aspect of blogging and more importantly I think it adds a nice personal touch. I like being able to see a photo and know whose photo it is, for example, Gh0st Parties and Tamira Jarrel!

    PERFECT THE ANGLES & CROP
    I often use a white slab to take my photos on and sometimes I happen to sneak in a shot of my feet at the same time. In these circumstances, I use iPhoto to crop out anything out. If I want to do any further editing, I use free online sites, such as ipiccy and pic monkey.

    GET YOUR BACKGROUND & PROPS RIGHT
    A common mistake, and one even I am sometimes guilt of and that’s mistaking props for clutter. I often have to get a second opinion to find out whether they think it adds to the photo or just looks messy. The point of props and backgrounds is to be an attribute and add to the subject, not to take away the focus of the subject or to misconstrue the point of the post.

    MAKE SURE YOU’RE SUBJECT IS IN FOCUS
    If I’m on someone’s blog and the subject of their photo isn’t in focus, I immediately exit the page. I find it such a turn off and I find myself trying to decipher what the photo is. Nowadays it seems to be easier to get your photos in focus even with the camera on your phone, all you have to do is touch the subject and it automatically focuses…genius.


    What are some of your photography tips? Want to see my blogging equipment? Find out here!

    Whould you like to comment?

    1. These are such great tips! I've recently been trying a lot harder to produce blogs photos with a greater quality, and I have tried some of these out. I'm also really put off by pictures that aren't a bloggers own. This post was such an enjoyable read, thank you for posting it Charlotte :) x
      Charlotte's Road

      ReplyDelete
    2. Great tips! I have no choice but to use the flash though!! Without the flash my camera produces photos that look grainy, dull and generally very hard to edit. I can't wait to finally upgrade at the end of the month!

      Toni x
      www.clarkecouture.co.uk
      MAC LIPSTICK GIVEAWAY:
      http://www.clarkecouture.co.uk/2015/07/happy-1st-birthday-clarke-couture-my.html

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you & fair enough, whatever works best for you x

        Delete

    @charlottechristmasx