• 21.6.14

    THE SUMMER EDIT | MAKEUP


    In London, the weather has got warmer, as in over 20 degrees, the sandals have made an appearance and the parka jackets have officially been put away ready and waiting for the colder months. I don’t need any more indication that it’s now time that I present my summer edit for 2014. I compiled a summer edit last year, which mainly consisted of photos however hopefully this year, I can bring more to the garden table.
    When wearing makeup in summer, a primer is essential even if you don’t need one at any other time of the year, a primer just keeps your makeup looking better for longer and also increases the longevity wear of your makeup. I personally really like the Maybelline Pore Eraser which is a really nice primer which only needs the smallest amount applied in the areas needed (for me it’s the cheeks and forehead). If you’re not one for precisely calculating the amount that you need and you just want a ‘quick fix’, the Bourjois Happy Light is a really nice one to opt for as you can apply more or less as much as you want, wherever you want to put it. Both primers have a slight tacky element to them which helps the foundation adhere to it a lot better. When it comes to eyes, I wear a primer all year round as my eye lids could crease for England. A silicon based eye primer is the Rimmel Exaggerate primer which is a good drugstore option which I use on a daily basis and on the days when I don’t want to wear the Urban Decay Primer Potion which has a thicker consistency and is my all-time favourite eye primer.

    When I think of summer makeup, I always think of light bases that have a dewy finish which look really natural on the face without looking cakey. The Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk foundation is one of my favourite choices as it is light coverage which can be built up to medium coverage without looking cakey and still has a dewy glow to the skin. There are times when I want a tinted moisturiser for minimal makeup; the Cover FX CC Cream is a great option as it has multiple skin benefits as well as a built in primer and SPF. For something with even lighter coverage, the Illamasqua Light Liquidfoundation is the lightest foundation I own and feels like water on the skin and it doesn’t feel like it clogs up my pores (which would consequently end up in break outs) and allows my skin to breathe.

    I love blusher more now than ever before and let’s face it; I’ve always had a thing for a good highlight. The new Revolution Lacquer Blush is a current favourite of mine as I have this ideology in my head that liquid blushers look more natural than powder blusher and doesn’t eliminate any natural glow that the skin already has. Speaking of powder blushers the Estee Lauder Pure Color Blushis the most pigmented blusher that I have a gives a gorgeous flush to the cheeks. On a lazy day I can’t always be bothered to apply wads of makeup and on days like this, I like to use the Topshop blush which has a nice sheen to it which can also act as a highlight.

    On the topic of highlight, I have actually only got one pick for you (despite being a highlight fiend). For a good liquid highlight, the No7 Skin Illuminator is a current favourite of mine as it catches the light amazingly well and doesn’t dry out, the only negative I have with this is that the dispenser is annoying and in my opinion quite unhygienic but other than that, the product itself is a keeper. I’ve only got one powder to share with you as I don’t tend to dabble in powder, because when I find one that I like, I normally stick to it however the Vichy Dermablend Loose setting powder is really finely milled and allows my skin to breathe. As it is such a light product, it doesn’t feel like you’re applying another layer of makeup as you don’t even feel that it’s on the skin, it just nicely sets the makeup.

    I’m such a brow lover and I have got two of my summer brow picks for you; the first one being the Sleekbrow stylist which is such a fool proof and easy to wear product. As it’s so quick to apply, it’s great if you’re on the go or if you don’t want to spend ages doing your makeup and you just want to quickly head on out to the sun! To set the brows, the Maybelline Brow Drama is one of my favourite products at the moment. It’s most definitely the best brow set that I have ever tried and because it’s tinted, you can quickly whack it on and you’re ready to go.

    When it comes to eyeshadow, I normally keep it relatively neutral. For an easy application, the ELFJumbo eyeshadow stick is one of my favourites as you can wear it in so many different ways; whether it is on its own or with other eyeshadows. What edit would it be without the mention of a Maybelline Colour Tattoo? I love these for all year round, again a very versatile product which could be used in a number of different ways.

    In summer, I feel that brown and nude eyeliners are a lot less harsh on the eye. The NEW CIDliner is a good’en as it has a neutral eyeshadow on one end and then a brown eyeliner on the other end which makes it really convenient for travelling as you don’t need to carry an array of products. 

    LIPS! Let’s start off with a good lip balm, my all-time favourite is the Nuxe Reve De Miel as its really hydrating and can be worn day or night. Sometimes, I personally like to opt for a tinted lip balm, in the event that I don’t want a full on bold lip, I like to go for the Maybelline Baby Lips balm, throughout the day, the pigmentation builds up and it has an SPF which is an added bonus. For a more pigmented, yet still hydrating lip, the Maybelline Colour Whispersand the Revlon Lip Butters are what you need! They are so easy to apply and don’t require a lip liner. They’re kind of a hybrid between a lipstick and a lip balm, so you get the best of both worlds. I love a good lip gloss in summer as they’re so easy to swipe on and the NEW CID i-gloss and the Maybellinecolour sensational shine gloss are two very good quality lip glosses which are nicely pigmented and not drying on the lips. The Maybelline gloss is very pigmented, not drying and somewhat balmy on the lips. The NEW CID i-glossis sweetly scented and has a very useful mirror and light.

     What’s your favourite product for summer?

    Would you like to comment?

    @charlottechristmasx