• 10.12.14

    MODIFYING MAKEUP BRUSHES

    When buying makeup brushes they tend to come with their suggestions on what to use each brush for, whether it be contour, foundation, eyeshadow, blending etc. which are obviously based on what the brush was designed to be used for. However despite what brushes are marketed to do, the most important thing is making your brushes work for you so that you can get the results that you desire! I’m constantly changing what I use my brushes for to try and find out the best use for each brush that suits me.

    Real Techniques Expert Face Brush – This brush is supposed to be great for applying and blending foundation, which I honestly do like using it for with certain foundations, however I’ve also found that it makes for a great contour brush as its densely packed bristles and tapered edge nicely fits into the hollows of my cheeks.

    Real Techniques Contour Brush – I think when I first got this, I stupidly distorted the bristles, therefore I’ve never really liked it for it’s intended purpose, however I do think it’s a lovely brush for applying blusher as it doesn’t apply too much product to the face and fits nicely on the apples of the cheeks.

    Models Own Blending Brush – As you can probably guess from the name, this brush is used to blend eyeshadow, but it looks like more of a pencil brush to me and I like to use this to apply eyeshadow in the crease or under the eye on the lower lash line.

    Real Techniques Duo Fiber Contour Brush – This brush too is used for contouring but is more sparse than the original contour brush from the core collection, however I love this for highlighting as it doesn’t distribute too much product on the face to make me look like a disco ball!

    MAC 217 Brush – One of my absolute favourite makeup brushes, and the best for both applying and blending eyeshadow and is definitely my go-to brush for that. I’ve recently started using it for powdering my concealer, as it’s so soft and blends beautifully.

    Real Techniques Cheek Brush - This brush is intended for blusher, but I’ve been obsessed with using it for applying my foundation because it’s duo fiber, it means that it’s very sparse and therefore provides a very natural coverage.

    Real Techniques Angled Eyeshadow Brush – Despite it being advertised for eyeshadow, I love it for concealer. The angle of the brush makes it great for getting right under the eye and being a synthetic brush (as all real techniques brushes are) works extremely well with cream products.


    Do you switch up what you use your brushes for?

    Would you like to comment?

    @charlottechristmasx