• 9.10.13

    Makeup Starter Kit

    Hey everyone, it was only this time last year that I properly started getting into makeup and since then, my makeup collection has rapidly increased. When I started dabbling in makeup, I started with the bare basics such as mascara, eyeshadow and lipgloss as they were the easiest to purchase in my opinion. Not long after that, I turned to YouTube and found some great items that caught my eye. In all honesty, I didn't watch a makeup starter kit, however if I could go back I definitely would. Even now I still watch them as there a some great items featured in them. Here are some things I would recommend to those of you starting out in the daunting world of makeup. I've tried to pick something for everyone, so here goes...

    Face

    I personally find foundation the hardest thing to buy because it can either go right or wrong. The Revlon Beyond Natural foundation is a great if you're happy with your skin as it has a low coverage. The foundation itself oxidises which means that over time it gets a little bit darker. The Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse foundation has a medium-high coverage and has a matte finish, so if you're looking for a foundation which has a dewy finish, this is not the one for you. The L'Oreal True Match concealer is the best concealer I've used. If you want to brighten under your eyes, it's fine to go a shade or two lighter as long as you blend it in very well and it looks nice and natural. If you're having a long day out, it's a good'n as it won't crease on you unlike some other concealers.

    If you're looking for a powder to control the shininess of your face, the Rimmel Stay Matte Powder is the one for you. It lasts a decent amount of time and reduces the shine on your face without eliminating your natural glow and it's ridiculously affordable. I've tried quite a few powders and none of them compare. A new favourite of mine is the Rimmel Clear Complexion powder which is said to help tame breakouts and to clear the skin. This is also less heavy on the face. 

    For bronzer, the MUA Mosiac Bronzer is a nice, cheap alternative. MUA have also recently brought out some cool shimmer bricks too. This bronzer is great if you want a nice and natural bronzed look to the face. Looking for a blusher to give you a nice and flushed pop of colour to your cheeks? Then the Colourworks Blusher is for you. It has quite a lot of shimmer to it, so could also double up as a highlighter. If you want a really natural look then this is great because it's not too pigmented which is perfect if you're a beginner!

    Eyes

    Like I said in my intro, eyeshadows in my opinion are the easiest things to buy because you don't need to by colour matched and they're easy to swatch and you don't need to know a lot about them to be able to buy them. Elf Studio eyeshadows are great if you just want a decent eyeshadow. If you want to jump in the deep end, the Maybelline Colour Tattoos are great cream eyeshadows to pick up. There is a small variety of colours, very affordable and very accessible to purchase. 

    Do you travel a fair bit? Palettes are great because there are so many combinations to choose from, maybe some that you may not have known beforehand. My first ever palette was from MUA these are great because the pigmentation is amazing for the price of the palette. If you want to spend a bit more, say double the price of an MUA palette, the Sleek palettes are a firm favourite with so many different combos. 

    I have oily eyelids, so I'm constantly dabbling in eye primers. The drugstore eye primers I've tried and taken a fancy to are the MUA Pro Base Eye Primer and the Rimmel Undercover Shadow Primer. Both of these primers do a great job at prolonging the wear of your eyeshadow, keeping the flawless look for the whole day/night!

    Eyebrows are something that I personally, have only started filling in earlier on this year. Since then I've tried a few here and there to find the ones that I like the best. The Body Shop Brow & Liner kit is my favourite because it also doubles as a great smokey eye kit as does the Beauty UK High Brow Kit, which is also just as good for half the price. It is the best for travelling because there is a whole lot included such as the powder, wax, tweezers and brow brush. What more could you need for your brows?

    I absolutely love a good mascara, over the past year or so, I've been trying out a few high end mascaras, however recently, I've gone back to drugstore/highstreet. If you're on the hunt for a good volumising mascara, then the Rimmel Scandaleyes mascara is great because your lashes appear so much fuller. If you want a mascara for lengthening, then the Rimmel Glam Eyes Lash Flirt mascara is amazing! I've never tried a mascara which lengthens lashes as much as this one does!

    A personal gel liner favourite of mine, is the Maybelline Eye Studio Gel liner which is a great product if you're starting out in makeup or if you have never tried a gel liner before. They are pretty fool-proof and easy to use and get the hang of. If you love the winged eye, then a bog standard liquid liner may be harder to get the jist of, however the L'Oreal Super Liner Blackbuster makes it ridiculously easier to perfect. The MUA pencil eye liner is moreorless like any other pencil liner, for a fraction of the price.

    Lips
    When it comes to lips, I just cannot resist a good ol' lippie! When I started experimenting in makeup, I used to shy away from anything too pigmented due to fear of looking like a 'clown' with the wrong shades and whatnot. If you're looking for something very balmy with a nice natural tint, the Maybelline Baby Lips is a great choice because there is a nice hydrating element with a nice hint of pink. Want something a tad more pigmented? The Revlon Lip Butter is an all time beauty blogger fave. This product is great for the daytime and evening, very sheer yet buildable. If you're very daring and want something super pigmented, the Rimmel Kate Moss lipsticks are the best! They are ridiculously pigmented and amazingly affordable. If you're going to bring out a pretty lipstick, you need a lip liner to prevent you're lips from bleeding (not literally) and for a precise shape some good ones I have tried are the MUA Lip Liners which are good to test out before splashing the cash.

    When I'm having a 'lazy' day, I like to just whip out a lovely lipgloss. There are lots and lots of great and affordable brands that come out with a great range of lipglosses, however Revlon Super Lustrous lipglosses are one of my favourites from the drugstore/highstreet. There a different collections, ranges and colours! 


    What product do you think would be great for a beginner?

    Whould you like to comment?

    1. Great post just love the blush shade and I also have the same body shop brow kit it works wonders <3

      www.krystelcouture.com

      ReplyDelete

    @charlottechristmasx