• 20.10.17

    SIGNS YOU SHOULD QUIT YOUR JOB

    Back in February this year, I made a decision that was a long time coming, which was to quit my job. All in all, I had been working there for about two and a half years and particularly for the last twelve to eighteen months, I really felt like I needed to leave. There were many factors that were influencing my decision to leave a place that was just not a good fit for me whatsoever. Now I’m still a full time student and therefore (until recently) I’ve only ever had part time jobs and I don’t have a mortgage, so it’s probably not as difficult for someone like me to make such a decision – however I (as much as the next person) like financial stability and independence. Irrespective of that, there are still universal signs when it comes to realizing the sings that you should leave your job, whether it be full time or part time.

    | Y O U   D R E A D   G O I N G   I N

    We all have days when all you want to do is pull a sicky and stay in bed every now and again, but if you consistently hate the thought of going in everyday, this is a huge sign. In my previous job, we had to book in our availability a week ahead and before I would even hand in my availability, I already didn’t want to go in for the shifts I was about to book myself in for. You shouldn’t feel like you have to be in a job or position where you want to cancel or call in sick on a regular basis. You should be in a job that you enjoy and at best don’t mind going into everyday.

    | Y O U   W A N T   S O M E T H I N G   D I F F E R E N T

    When it comes to actually making decisions, I’m a very decisive person, however my downfall is that I get bored pretty quickly. My first job was very repetitive – it was working in a call centre conducting market research and as you can imagine, asking the same questions on such a regular basis can get extremely boring. My next job actually overlapped with my first, and due to them both being zero hour contracts, meant that I could do both without overworking myself and still being able to do my college work. Having said that, my second job was very different to my first and now I’m onto my third job (as well as that I still have my second which is in retail) and this too is very different. I personally like a change in environment, challenges and expectations. I’m still young, but I can only imagine what it would be like to have worked in the same career field for the past 30 years.

    S H O P   T H E   L O O K



    | Y O U ' R E   N O T   H A P P Y

    Regardless of everything else I have mentioned – happiness, in my opinion is the most important factor. When I decided to leave my job in market research, I my monthly income decreased by a significant amount – I’m talking about three-quarters but the day after I quit my job, I honestly felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders and I woke up so incredibly happy, not to mention that I haven’t suffered with migraines since leaving – touch wood! Ultimately, if you are not happy in a job for whatever reason, albeit the stress or the job itself etc. your happiness and wellbeing trumps everything. We spend so much time at work that you cannot afford for it to be in a place that does not make you happy.

    I know it’s not always that easy – I’ll be the first person to tell you how hard it is to find a job, let alone a job that you love and enjoy. Everyone has various different financial responsibilities and it’s definitely easier said than done, but at the same time life’s too short to have to go to a job day in, day out that you severely do not enjoy and not all money is good money. Mental health and happiness is just as important, if not more than a big pay cheque at the end of every month.

    - W H A T   Y O U   P U T   U P   W I T H, Y O U   E N D   U P   W I T H -

    Would you like to comment?

    @charlottechristmasx